Bornova | Wilkinson Mansion

Bornova

Wilkinson Mansion

The mansion is located on Gençlik Street in the garden of the Ege University Presidency. One of the old Levantine houses of Bornova, the Wilkinson Mansion was built in 1865 by James Whittall, the owner of the famous Big House (EU Presidency Building) of those years, for his daughter Jane, who married Richard Wilkinson, the Consul of Thessaloniki, Malaga and Manila. This mansion, which was built as a result of the demolition of the horse stud farms located in the area between the Church of St. Mary Magdalene and the Big House, was used by the Wilkinson Family for generations until 1985. The mansion, which the family sold to the Filidis Family in 1988, was nationalized for the use of the Ege University in 1997. The mansion, which reached 2005 in a dilapidated state but was restored in the same year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the foundation of Ege University and gained its new identity, currently serves as an art center of the university under the name of EÜ 50th Year Mansion Art Gallery and EÜ International Relations and EU Office.