Bornova | EÜ Balkans and Anatolian Costumes Museum

Bornova

EÜ Balkans and Anatolian Costumes Museum

It is estimated that the building, which has survived to the present day under the name sirkehane, was built by a Greek family between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. The rear part of the building, which was transferred to the Republic of Turkey Treasury of Finance in 1943, was used as a vinegar and pickle production area by the Ege University Faculty of Agriculture Department of Food and Fermentation Technology in the 1960s, while the front part was used as a residence. The sirkehane, which was transferred from the Republic of Turkey Treasury of Finance to Ege University in 1990, served as a residence until the 1990s. The building, a large part of which was demolished in the last 20 years, was put into service as the EÜ Balkans and Anatolian Costumes Museum after the restoration was completed in 2010. The museum is the first institutional museum opened jointly with the Ministry of Culture within a university in Türkiye.