Belhomme or Xenopoulou Mansion was built by the English architect, Clark, having constructed Aliberti House in 1880. The first owner of the house is considered Xenopoulou. It was later acquired by grandfather of Helene Armand, the last owner of the house. Exterior front of the house is very remarkable with its columns ornamented with elbow elegant covers. Located at Fevzi Çakmak Avenue No: 34, Belhomme Mansion is used as Bornova Municipality Library (Atatürk Library) in our time.
The original owner of the house, John Paterson Leith was a Scottish corn merchant. Well-known in Izmir, Paterson engaged with several profitable initiatives in especially mining by 1859. In addition to this, it is said that John Paterson is the person having discovered the chrome for the first time in Turkey.
Paterson Mansion is a spectacular mansion with 38 rooms built over a land with 133 hectares, half of which is used for stables of race horses. John Paterson was very interested in change and front of the house was changed more than seven times. Even if family individuals have not lived since 1963 in Paterson Mansion, large pianos of the house have remained in the mansion until 1972. The most recent residents of the house have been NATO employees living here for five years. After having obtained the approval of Higher Council of Monuments, arrangements were made in an area of 54 thousand square meters by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality in 2001 and settlement groups and pedestrian roads were created. Ornamental pool was repaired and renewed with natural stones. Café-bar has been constructed in the garden of mansion within the scope of the arrangement. Upon completion of restoration works of the mansion transferred to Izmir Metropolitan Municipality for a period of 49 years with the right of use issued by the Ministry of Culture, the process of bringing in a cultural facility to Bornova and Izmir is underway.
Facing Bornova Square in Fevzi Çakmak Avenue, two mansions were built in 1860 by a Greek person called Marcopoli. These two houses almost stand side by side with a large and exquisite garden extending to its backyards. It is said that the sea can be viewed from this garden approximately more than 30 years ago. The house at the right hand side still preserves its original state; the other house lived by Gwen, the spouse from William Giraud and Paterson Family was re-built by Harold Giraud 90 years ago.
An impressive portico was added later and the house still preserves its beauty. One of the most valuable item in Giraud’s house is the portrait of Jean Baptiste, the Giraud’s Family and the founder of the company in 18th company. Another portrait Lui Cortazzi, the father-in-law of Jean Baptiste and the last Consul of the Venetian Republic in Izmir.
Father of W. Giraud is the founder of the first cotton textile factory in Turkey. Giraud Mansion was purchased by Küçükbay Family, the owner of oil and detergent factory in 1994 and it has been used as family housing since then.
Located on the street known as Uzun Sokak (Long Street) in the past, Maltass Mansion has been owned by the dowager, Audrey Maltass, wife of Geoffrey Maltass since 1960. The mansion is 120 years old. A few year ago, it was purchased as a sample for restoring historical houses by Aziz Kocaoğlu, Mayor of Izmir Metropolitan Municipality.
Located at 2nd and 3rd street of Bornova Erzene District, it is not exactly known when DRAMALILAR MANSION was built but it is estimated that it was built at the end of 18th century and at the beginning of 19th century. Planning modifications and spatial additions have been made in the late periods to main building and appurtenance section of the mansion and this structure complex has always been used as housing.
After the structure of Turkish bath has been used by mansion residents for a long time, it has been publicly operated. Front courtyard has been used as car park in the late periods. Inside the structure complex are mansion building that is the main building, kitchen and Turkish bath structures, entrance building (the portion of a house reserved for men), appurtenance and stable. Southwest façade of the mansion faces front courtyard and north-eastern façade faces back courtyard.
DRAMALI FAMILY: Through the exchange in 1924, Dramalı Family firstly came from DRAMA city of Greece and then to Izmir, BORNOVA from there. They settled into this mansion based on the protocol indicating that the state grants property to the exchanged person equivalent to the properties they have left in the country they have emigrate. The family used to make a living with tobacco farming.
LEVANTINE MANSIONS OF EGE UNIVERSITY
BÜYÜK EV (BIG HOUSE) EGE UNIVERSITY RECTORATE
It is known that there was a monastery in the early 18th century where today Ege University is located. Constructed firstly as a single storey house by a Dutch immigrant on this land, the house was purchased in 1820s by James Whittall, the partner of the renowned Whittall firm having settled in Izmir for commercial purposes in 1817. Having transferred to the property of his brother after the death of Whittall, the house was expanded in subsequent years and additional floors were added on it and it has been referred as “Büyük Ev” (Big House) since then.
Büyük Ev hosted several significant figures in different dates due to its location in social political life of Whittall family. Some of these influential guests are Sultan Abdul Aziz (1863), Duke of Edinburgh, Alfred Ernest Albert and George Ernest Albert (1886) to ascend the throne with the name of George Franchiser in 1910 and Greek Prince Andrew (1921).
Büyük Ev whose ownership was transferred to Giraud family, the relative of Whittall Family in around 1930s has been nationalized and has been transferred to Republic of Turkey, the Finance Treasury and has passed to the ownership of Ege University. The building has been serving as Rectorate Administrative Building of Ege University.
WILKINSON MANSION/ EGE UNIVERSITY 50th YEAR MANSION
One of the oldest Levantine houses of Bornova, Wilkinson Mansion was built in 1865 by James Whittall residing in Büyük Ev (Ege University Rectorate Building) for his daughter, Jane married with Richard Wilkinson, Salonika, Malaga and Manila Consul. Friendship of these two families came to a kinship level as mentioned in Izmir travel notes of English traveller John Madox in 1821 visiting Jane’s grandfather, Charlaton Whittall and Richard’s father, Richard Wilkinson in Izmir in the first years.
This mansion built as a result of demolition of horse stud farms located on the areas between Büyük Ev and St. Mary Magdalene Church opened in 1857 was used for next generations until 1985 by Wilkinson Family. The mansion disposed of by this family in 1988 and sold to Filidis Family was nationalized for use of Ege University in 1997.
Reaching 2005 year in ruins restored for the memory of 50th anniversary of the establishment of Ege University and gained a new identity, the mansion currently offer service as an artistic center of the university under the name of Ege University 50th Year Mansion Artistic Gallery and Ege University International Relations and EU Office.
LA FONTAINE MANSION / Old Building La Fontaine Mansion of Ege University, Deanship of Faculty of Education is located next to Murat Mansion opposite St. Mary Magdalene Church. What was observed in the records of the building is James La Fontaine (1881 – 1930).
James La Fontaine is the son of Blanche Magdalene Whittall, grandson of Blanche Magdalene Whittall, grandson of Charlaton Whittall having purchased Büyük Ev in 1836. After the death of James La Fontaine, the owner the building where Ege University, Application and Research Center for Women’s Studies and Ege University Izmir Application and Research Center are located as also known as Kuyulu Ev, both buildings passed to his spouse, Clara Lillian La Fontaine (Keyzer) and his children Rhoda, Rodney Audrey. The mansion was purchased from the family by the nephew of Clara La Fontaine, Ruby Gladys Whittall (De Zandonati) in 1941.
The mansion was purchased from Ruby Gladys Whittall in 1963 because of the building needs of Ege University. This Levantine House used as Ege University, Structural and Technical Works Department until 1975 was respectively allocated temporarily for Körler School, Gendarmerie Battalion and Artillery Brigade Command and Community Health Institute in the following years. Ege University Social Sciences Institute and Ege University, Atatürk’s Principles and History of Turkish Revolution Department offered service between 1996-2001 and Ege University, Deanship of Faculty of Education offered service between 2001-2009 in the building allocated for use again by Ege University in 1996. As a result of restoration to be performed, it will be evaluated as Ege University, Atatürk’s Principles and History of Turkish Revolution Application and Research Center and Museum.
EDWARDS MANSION (MURAT MANSION) / EGE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY CENTER
The land located on the building that reached our time with the name of Murat Mansion was sold to Edwards Family by James Whittall in 1820s. After the English Army withdrew from Egypt, it is known that army officer, Charles Edwards having settled in Izmir died after a short period of time of his settlement. His son, Anthony Francis Edwards, was an important personality in press life in Izmir and İstanbul as of 1830 and he contributed to the city in the issue of construction of Izmir-Kasaba (Turgutlu) Railway and establishment of Izmir Gas Company. It is estimated that the name of the mansion dates back to our time comes from Constantin Murat whom the daughter of Anthony Francis Edwards, Emily, got married.
The Mansion was nationalized by the government in 1980 after Alaiyeli Zade Mahmut Bey, its owner in 1930 and was transferred to Protection Association for Children in Need of Protection, Izmir Province, and then transferred to the General Directorate of Society for The Protection of Children.
In accordance with a protocol concluded between the Society for The Protection of Children owning its possession and Izmir Metropolitan Municipality in 2001, the structure was allocated to Izmir Metropolitan Municipality for a period of fifteen years provided that a comprehensive restoration application is to be performed.
Murat Mansion served as a social service center for university students for a short time following restoration carried out in 2003 by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality and was allocated to Ege University within the framework of a common protocol at the beginning of 2005. The Mansion hosted civic involvement projects within the scope of Public University Project with the name of Ege University Community Center. Murat Mansion has currently been also serving with its cafeteria as well as being communication and meeting center for student communities.
KUYULU EV (HOUSE WITH WELL) (ENGLISH CLUB) / The structure located next to the land of Büyük Ev, Ege University Izmir Application and Research Center- Ege University Research Center for Women Studies is also known as “Kuyulu Ev” or “English Club” The oldest owner of this house observed in the records is James La Fontaine, the grandson of James Whittall (1819-1893), the owner of Büyük Ev. After the death of James La Fontaine of the building known with the name of La Fontaine Mansion in our time and used as Deanship of Ege University Faculty of Education, both buildings passed to his spouse, Clara Lillian La Fontaine (Keyzer) and his children Rhoda, Rodney Audrey.
The square located in front of Kuyulu Ev has formed an important meeting point of Bornova social life in 19th century and at the beginning of 20th century in old Bornova. The neighbours sitting at the penthouses in outer sides of garden gates of the houses at the square used to chat with another and passers-by. The men visiting English Club incorporating games halls as well as reading rooms used to spend time and sit on small tables in front of gates. Used as a center for social purpose where English families gather at a later period, the building was referred as Kuyulu Ev because of the cistern just beside the building. The building passed to the children of Clara Lillian La Fontaine after her death in 1959 was purchased for the university in 1966. The garden at the back of the building was integrated with the garden of university rectorate. The mansion transferred to Republic of Turkey, the State Treasury, in 1990 was allocated for use of Ege University. The structure currently incorporating Ege University Application and Research Center for Women’s Studies and Ege University Izmir Application and Research Center will involve restoration operations in 2011.
BALLIAN MANSION / Levantine House whose oldest user recorded by Ege University, Strategy Development Authority, is Ballian Family was built in the second half of 19th century. Catching attention with ceiling cornices and on-core ornaments, the mansion was purchased from his spouse, Attilia Ballian and his children Marian Laura, Alferd, Adelian and Albert, heirs of industrialist Antonie Ballian by Esther Marian Giraud (Wilkinson), spouse of Charloton James Giraud in 1900. After the death of Esther Marian Giraud in 1955, the mansion was passed to her children Friedrich, Joyce, Donald, Norma and Eldon.
Nationalized in 1970 for Ege University and purchased from these five brothers, the building was used as lodging, nursing vocational school and archive in the past years. Currently incorporating Ege University, Strategy Development Authority, it is contemplated that the mansion will offer service as a museum by restoring after it is moved to new building of the Authority of Strategy Development.
PASQUALI MANSION (BARRY MANSION) / Ege University Club, known as Bari Mansion in our time, is considered to be built in the middle of the 19th century. Based on information provided by Pasquali Family, the building was built between 1835-1840 by a merchant, Giuseppe Pasquali whose father migrated to Izmir from Chios Island. After Guiseppe Pasquali, his son Giovanni Giuseppe Pasquali and his spouse, Giulia Pasquali (Barry) lived in the mansion. As Guilia, the daughter of Italian Consulate interpreter and merchant Polycarpe Barry was a loved person and persons from the family of Guilia settled in the mansion after the death of Giovanni Pasquali’, it is considered that the mansion is referred as Barry Mansion.
After Giovanni Pasquali in 1925, the building passed to his spouse and his three children Rene, Christine and Joseph was nationalized by Republic of Turkey, the State Treasury for use of Bornova Agricultural School in 1941.
Having lost its one third part of its garden due to road expansion works, the mansion currently hosts its guests as club of the University with its exquisite garden.
Ege University Yeşil Köşk (Green Mansion)
The structure known as currently Yeşil Köşk after its name, Pandispanya Mansion, used in the last quarter of 20th century is estimated to be built by Izmir merchant, D.A. Bardisbanian dealing with import and export works in the last quarter of 19th century. In its construction period, it was located at just beside agricultural lands expanding to Bornova plain opposite of Bornova train station like several other adjacent mansions.
After Gasparian Family taking over the mansion from Bardisbanian Family said to migrate to France at the end of 19th century had left Izmir, the mansion was nationalized and used for Bornova Agricultural School and was transferred to Republic of Turkey, the State Treasury in 1949 and was passed to Ege University in 1990. The building was served as Ege University, Faculty of Agriculture, Agricultural Administration and Economy Platform between 1955-1972 after establishment of Ege University. Functioned as a guest hose for high profile visitors to the University for a while following its restoration 1986, the mansion is currently used as a social facility offering service as cafeteria and restaurant for academic and administrative staff and students of the University following restoration in 1993 and 1995.
SARI KÖŞK (YELLOW MANSION / Ege University, Deanship of Economics and Administrative Sciences
There is no information available regarding the first owner and user of the mansion built at the turn of 20th century. Sarı Köşk (Yellow Mansion) is located opposite Bornova Train Station together with Yeşil Köşk (Green Mansion) and several adjacent mansions failing to reach our time. The fields and lands between today’s Ege University and Yeşil Köşk (Green Mansion) was nationalized in 1924-1925 for the need of Bornova Agricultural School founded in December, 1922. Located within one of these lands, Sarı Köşk (Yellow Mansion) served as Directorate of Agricultural School until it was moved to the new building completed in 1933. Located within one of these lands, Sarı Köşk (Yellow Mansion) served as Directorate of Agricultural School until it was moved to the new building completed in 1933. Atatürk bust sculpted by the sculptor, Austrian Heinrich Krippell was placed in the memory of this visit into the garden of the mansion visited by him on June 18th, 1926. This work is one of the little known first statues of Krippell in our time and is may be the first bust of Atatürk sculpted. Used as guest house in the first years of Ege University established in 1955 and used as Ege University, Faculty of Agriculture Club, the mansion today serves as Ege University, Deanship of Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences.
SİRKEHANE / Ege University Balkans and Anatolian Museum of Clothes Preserving its name as sirkehane (vinegar house) today, it is estimated that the building was built by a Greek family between the end of 19th century and the beginning of 20th century. Back area of the structure transferred to Republic of Turkey, the State Treasury, in 1943 was used as vinegar and pickles production site by Ege University, Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Fermentation Technology Platform and front area was used as lodging. Sirkehane (vinegar house) passed to Ege University from Republic of Turkey, the State Treasury in 1990 by way of exchange method served as a housing until 1990’s.
The building whose large part of it was demolished within the last 20 years entered into operation as Ege University, Balkans and Anatolian Museum of Clothes at the end of restoration completed in 2010. The museum is the first institution museum opened in partnership with the Ministry of Culture within the body of a university in Turkey.
Source: Ege University, Levantine Mansions Exhibition Book, 2010